Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Reason #22: More For Me



I don't make that much money, personally, but it dawned on me recently that 2011 will be the first year of my adult life that I'm technically a member of the lower middle class - the Roseanne demo, if you will.

Which means that I'm officially bucking the national trend, as the Census Bureau is reporting that the US poverty rate is now up to 15.1%, the highest it's been since 1993. The poverty rate among children, meanwhile, is about 22%, meaning a disproportionate chunk of the non-poor are childless (or at least have fewer children). Which in my experience is probably a big part of why they're above the poverty line, but that's a different conversation.

Of course, the middle class figures kinda suck as well - median incomes are lower now than they were as far back as the seventies - but who cares? Glowing cats!!

No comments:

Post a Comment