Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Reason #87: Banning Cell Phones


I'm ashamed to say I don't know exactly what the law is in my state, but I'd long had a vague understanding that using a cell phone while driving is against the law - both here in Pennsylvania and in my home state of New York.

Turns out that some states have no rules whatsoever against phone use by drivers - twenty states still let even novice drivers use their phones, and around fifteen states still let drivers send text messages.

While they only really have the ability to make recommendations, the NTSB has finally come out in favor of a nationwide ban. The only way a driver would be allowed to talk on the phone, if they had their way, would be if the phone is hands-free to the point of being built into the car. So far, only ten states have gone that far on their own.

I for one think it makes at least as much sense as banning drunk driving. Endangering yourself is one thing--I don't really think there should be seatbelt laws, except probably for children--but endangering other people on the road is another.

No comments:

Post a Comment