Monday, April 9, 2012

Reason #171: The Right to Remain Silent


I've seen numerous people, whilst discussing Trayvon Martin, attempt to cut through any and all anger by appealing to the justice system. They point out that none of us really know what happened the day Trayvon got shot, and not only do I agree with that point of view, I'm actually a ferocious advocate for it in most high-profile criminal cases.

The national media is indeed grossly biased, but not in favor of the left or the right - in favor of a good story. The second someone is even suspected of a crime in this country, the public is utterly convinced of their guilt, and human filth like Nancy Grace are only too happy to reinforce that conviction.

If a jury found George Zimmerman to have been acting legally in self-defense, chances are I'd have a thing or two to say about that; about the Stand Your Ground law, at least. But at least then the justice system would have been allowed to run its course, and I could see my way to accepting that the jury had an understanding of the events that was superior to my own.

What I have had to remind people, repeatedly, is that George Zimmerman has not been arrested.

Well, as it happens, we now have a nicely cut-and-dried case of white-on-black crime to talk about. Now when people complain that the Trayvon case is no worse than any of a million other murders, I can point to the arrests of Jake England and Alvin Watts--and their $9 million bond--and calmly explain to these people that this is what's different.

No comments:

Post a Comment